Saturday 28 November 2009

Feeling Festive


Yesterday we put up our Christmas Tree.  I always insist on waiting until at least December but this year I was outgunned.  Son was excited from the moment we bought the damn thing and Husband came home from work feeling festive.  With a combined age of 30 they insisted that they were older than me and so got to choose!  I feel a bad precedent coming on here. 

Anyway, if we were doing it, we were doing it properly so we put the Christmas music on and away we went.  We bought baubles and tinsel and lights from a more reputable shop this year so we didnt have to spend hours tying the strings back on etc and it was decidedly more fun than in years past.

The tree looks lovely and i feel truly festive now so i can justify the early erection.  It's our tree and we can do what we want and if we want to put it up 3 days early then so be it! As a child I remember my mum insisting the tree goes up in the last week before Christmas and it never feeling really festive until then.  Mind you, by 25th December, I probably will be sick of all this "festive" malarkey and be wanting to tear the thing down.

Then last night we realised the chav family from Coronation Street were being mocked for the exact same thing. Ho hum!

I still maintain that it is simply organised and not anally retentive to have written my Christmas cards already. That way we don't send last minute cards to those we may have forgotten!

***

On another note, I have been trying to watch my language around Son.  Any parent will tell you, a 3 year old is better (or worse) than a parrot for repeating things, especially those you'd rather not have repeated.  The result for Princess Mummy is becoming a nicer person. (at least in Son's presence)  The result for Son is that he's started to talk in a soft voice.  Bonus all round!

I was slightly taken aback yesterday when Son, sitting at the table with his cheese sandwich came to look at my ham sandwich, put his head to one side and said in a soft voice "shall we share this buttie mummy?"  I found myself agreeing because he asked in such a nice way. 

I wasnt even aware of the "shall we lets" sentence construction Ive apparently fallen into - "shall we lets go feed the duck-ducks?"  When I mentioned it to Husband, I was informed it's a bit of a regular of mine. Oops.  And I know it wont have come from my burly Welshman.  A soft voice and the word "shall" dont enter his repetoire! 

I shouldn't complain, the only phrase Son has ever picked up from Husband was "hell yeah" when offered something.  That phrase, along with most of Husband were trampled out pretty sharpish.

Off for lunch with the In Laws today.  Don't mention the Christmas Tree!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love to get messages from readers. You let me know I connect with you and whether I'm hitting the spot with the Blog. Hints and Tips go down very well too.