Sunday 22 January 2012

Tears and Tantrums-Fabulous Dahling!

Tonight's blog is taking twice as long to type as usual thanks to my manicure from Pui at Lush.  Having turned the big 3-0 earlier this month, I decided that "Princess" wasn't just a title, but a title I wanted to live up to.  And so I decided to realise a lifelong dream.  Acrylic nails were first on the list.  Followed quickly by semi-permanent mascara.  I booked in for the acrylics and was so delighted with the results that I immediately booked the eyelash tint.  As I plucked my eyebrows that evening, I was suddenly aware that the single white hair I had been plucking for months was back. With friends.  And appeared to be colonising the other eyebrow too!  A call to Pui confirmed that I could have my eyebrows tinted and shaped and so that's gone on the list of "things to do to not frighten the neighbours".  Being middle aged is hard work.  And my confidence was NOT boosted by Little Prince's observation that Princess Mummy without a bra is funny because her boobies go "wiggley waggley"!

Tomorrow is Little Prince's birthday.  5 going on 50.  And a party has been planned for Saturday.  The biggest - and rookie - mistake in my planning was telling Little Prince that he was having a party.  There's no excusing it.  I knew better.  And yet, there I found myself saying "So who are we inviting to your birthday party this year?"

In my defence, my mind was screaming at my mouth to stop moving, but sadly, too little too late.  So the upshot is that we invited 45 kids to the party, thinking that we would have a refusal rate of at least 50%.  Which we could cater for comfortably (with the help of the local sports centre).  Again with the rookie mistakes.  We've had 40 acceptances.  Even bearing in mind that a lot of kids wont show up (rude!) we still have to provide enough food for 40.  As well as party bags.  Which leads us neatly to my tanty in the aisles of Tesco. 

Working out how to fill 40 party bags for less than the GDP of a small country, while still doing Little Prince proud is quite a mission. Having found 3 small toys and 2 types of (individually wrapped) sweets, I was starting to feel deeply tense.  So when Little Prince started to nag about needing a birthday cake, Princess Mummy was not as sympathetic in saying no as she could be.  6 aisles and much nagging later, Princess Mummy stopped the trolley, folded her arms, stamped her feet and announced that "if I hear one more word about the party I will eat all the sweets, play with all the toys and cancel the party!"  As I looked to Prince Daddy for support, I realised the traitor had scuttled off to another aisle, leaving Little Prince, still sitting in the trolley, to bear the brunt of the shame.  And yes, we are STILL hearing about his party!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love to get messages from readers. You let me know I connect with you and whether I'm hitting the spot with the Blog. Hints and Tips go down very well too.